12.04.2008

Vehicle

Well, I'm taking that trip like I always said
And it hasn't turned out at all like I expected
I have been walking a lot more than I thought I would
Along roads that could barely be called roads.
Actually, they haven't even seen the ruts of a wagon
If this were the Oregon Trail.

It's been more like walking a deer path at twilight
Or just before a storm, where the sky gets that
Odd haziness, as though you've fallen
Through a crack in reality, and shapes don't quite make
Sense in the normal way of expecting them to.

I have fallen more than I walked, but still pushed on
Sometimes on knees and elbows...
And a couple times, and I know you'll think I'm crazy
(And maybe I am, because no one's understood this yet)
But my hand has been taken, and I have been pulled along
And, as though I were wearing some pair of
Seven League Boots or something, I was whisked away
To some new adventure.

It's all right, I know it sounds loony, but
You'll know just what I'm talking about when you're the
Person it's happening to. One minute, you're singing
"I'm Your Vehicle Baby" under your breath
And the next, you're in Tuscaloosa,
Wondering where the hell Kansas went.

No comments:

Post a Comment